Monday 1 October 2018

Popski's Private Army - Part 4, Figures


I always add at least one figure to my vehicle projects, not only to give a sense of scale but also to impart that these machines we model are more than just that. To me, adding a figure or two gives the additional element of context; the interaction of man with the object and its’ surroundings.

I studied quite a few pictures of the PPA soldiers to try and get an idea of how they were dressed only to come to the conclusion that pretty much anything goes. I’ve seen denison smocks, leather flying jackets, battledress, cricket jumpers and anything in between.

To try and replicate this, let’s say, nonchalant look I used a standing figure from Masterbox (MB3561) which is actually a German DAK figure. I loved the pose and the “uniform” on this particular figure is fairly generic, so with a head swap for something a little more appropriate courtesy of Hornet, we were good to go.



The seated driver figure is from Mantis Miniatures, 35077, again I swapped the head for a Hornet item but this resin figure is perfect for what I had in mind.


Some time ago I was sent the Lifecolor British Infantry Uniforms set for review and I was keen to use them on this project. Most of my figure painting is done with Vallejo acrylics, mostly from the Modelcolor range but also I use Panzer Aces. However, I do use Lifecolor acrylics on occasion and I find they really suit my style of painting, they blend seamlessly with the Vallejo and dry dead flat.


After priming the figures in light grey I proceeded to get the flesh tones finished, this was covered in more detail in my US Airborne Jeep blog here.


Unfortunately I didn't take many WIP shots of the process but I'll break down the colours I used for each figure here, hopefully it should give an idea. (Lifecolor paints begin with a UA, the rest are Vallejo Modelcolor).

As an aside, I always add a little Tamiya flat base X21 into my Vallejo paints (except flesh mixes), some will dry to a slight sheen and this will make them completely flat. Some colours are worse than others for this but it pays to have that insurance in the first place.

COMMON


Beret - Base is Andrea Black* with a touch of 862 Black Grey. Shade with Andrea Black and Highlight with 862 Black Grey. Overall glaze of Andrea Black to blend everything together.

Leather band - 950 Black.

*All black is not created equal. Andrea black is not as dark as Vallejo black and is quite a nice dusty tone once highlighted, it also dries completely matt, unlike Vallejo out of the bottle. We can use this to our advantage by reserving the Vallejo Black for the deepest shadows, if necessary.
Also, by using the straight Vallejo Black for the leather band on the beret we can show a difference not only in tone, but in glossiness. I have also used this effect on the binoculars.

Boots - Base mix of 871 Leather Brown and 950 Black. Shaded with 950 Black, Highlighted with 971 Leather Brown, then 981 Orange Brown. Touch of 819 Iraqi Sand for the final highlight.

STANDING FIGURE


Shirt/Trousers - Base UA442 Yellow Tone Gears. Shaded with 941 Burnt Umber, Highlights with 976 Buff.

Jumper - Base UA443 Battledress Light Tone. Shaded with 887 Brown Violet, Highlights with 845 Sunny Skintone.

Cravat - Base 986 Deck Tan. Shaded with 941 Burnt Umber, Highlights with 820 Off White.



SEATED FIGURE


Shorts - As Trousers, above.

Tunic - Base 921 English Uniform. Shaded with 872 Chocolate Brown, Highlights with 917 Beige.

Gloves - Base 871 Leather Brown. Shaded with 950 Black, Highlights with 981 Orange Brown, then 977 Desert Yellow, sparingly. Overall glaze with 828 Woodgrain/812 Violet mix.

Belt - Base 70% 988 Khaki / 30% 880 Khaki Grey. Shaded with 941 Burnt Umber, Highlights with 976 Buff.

Holster/Pouch - 70% 880 Khaki Grey / 30% Khaki. Shaded and Highlighted as above.


There is a little more to do to tie them into the scene and that is where the next part picks up, dust and finishing everything off.




No comments:

Post a Comment