Tuesday 5 November 2019

Sometimes it just goes wrong


Things don't always work out the way you planned, after a long lay off from figure painting sometimes it just takes me a while to get back into the groove.

Thought I would post this to illustrate that every now and again there is that project where no matter what you do it just doesn't go how you want. Maybe I left it too long between figures, maybe I was trying too hard or maybe I was just rushing it. Whatever the reason, sometimes it's better to cut your losses, strip it and start again.

This is my first attempt on Alpine's beautiful Ramcke Brigade figure #35125, face is not very neat and definitely not inspiring me to continue at all.



Back to basics then. I stripped the paint off the face with a cotton bud and some neat IPA.

To re-acquaint myself with face painting I watched the excellent youtube videos by Jaume Ortiz, you can find the two videos here:

Although Jaume's technique is demonstrated on a 75mm head, the technique and colour palette is exactly what I used here.
A base colour of Vallejo 876 Brown Sand, highlighted by adding 815 Basic Fleshtone and shaded by adding 859 Black Red.

This is how face attempt number two turned out, better I think and now I'm more inclined to get on and finish this one.


So if there is a moral here, don't try and force something when it clearly isn't working. Come back to it with fresh eyes and if necessary, start again.











No comments:

Post a Comment